Friday, April 4, 2014

Review: The King


The King
The King by J.R. Ward

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I love this series which has kept me reading it even though I think the author has lost her way a bit. She made the world too complicated and confusing. A story now focuses on the relationship between a couple (in this case, Wrath and Beth are being revisited) but also has to move forward the storylines for several other characters such as iAm, Assail, and more. Oh, and then we have to get caught up on past characters as well. Whew, it's exhausting. The links to the main story are often almost non-existent (Assail and Sola's story, for example) but I kept waiting for it to tie in somehow but nope. I much preferred the energy she had when the series was new. I'm glad she wrapped back to give us more on Wrath and Beth but there are so many, "Wait, what?" moments when reading her books that you really have to consider it a force of will to continue.

But I will continue . . . despite my complaints, I want to know what happens next. I like this world even if it is chaotic and confusing.

Oh, and please, no more Miley Cyrus references, please. The language and tone of this book felt a little forced compared to earlier books too. Sort of a "insert cultural reference here" feeling. Again, compared to the easy way that the Brotherhood's culture was shown in earlier books, this was forced to say the least.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment