Monday, December 17, 2012

Mondays are tough . . .

Raven Silhouette I
Solitary Raven
I love my job -- I really do.  Sometimes though, it's tough.  Having to guide students through grief and fear is very, very difficult.  I don't want to have the kinds of conversations that I need to have with my kids.  I want to teach them about reading great books, writing from their hearts, solving the puzzles that are math problems, treating their friends well, the amazing and wonderful state of California, and art . . . I want to teach them about all the good in life.   I don't want to teach them about death and grief and sorrow and fear.  

But, that's the job.  Sometimes, you put aside the lesson plans and deal with the real feelings and emotions of the day.  You walk that fine line between preparing and scaring.  You let them know you love and support them and that all the grownups at our school will do whatever we can to keep them safe.   

And, then you teach math.  And reading.  And writing.  And art.  

5 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of you--and other teachers I know--this week.
    You are always my heroes, but this week especially so.
    Here's to having a season of peaceful recovery over the holiday break. And a merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KGMom -- I am so looking forward to the break (after Friday!) as a time to heal and regain my equilibrium. For the kids, we have to work at being as safe as we can be *and* getting back to normal as quickly as we can!

      Delete
  2. So: what you teach is the reason to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much. The reason to live and how to do it while supporting each other.

      Oh, and Murr, your book just arrived in my mailbox today! Hurrah!

      Delete